The key concern of Tobacco Control is always to give a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which are very likely to further the objectives of a tobacco control policy that is comprehensive. The introduction should indicate why the research reported or issues discussed are important in terms of controlling tobacco use, and the discussion section should include an analysis of how the research reported contributes to tobacco control objectives in papers submitted for review.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Since the log seeks to attain a worldwide readership, writers should think about whether their intended submissions target dilemmas or themes, that are apt to be of great interest to scientists employed in other countries. Extremely parochial problems, that incorporate few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are unlikely to be provided with priority that is high. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking perhaps perhaps perhaps not provide high priority to:
- Studies of cigarette smoking prevalence and its particular correlates. They are well matched to nationwide journals. Few individuals residing outside nation have an interest in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of cigarette cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace teams or medical researchers. Once more, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness speciality that is professional. Few individuals in other countries could be enthusiastic about (for instance) whether nurses in a hospital that is regional enthusiastic http://paytowriteessays.net about helping patients quit. National studies, and people using such studies into initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that appear to hold no importance that is obvious changing policy or training in tobacco control. They frequently show methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere essential or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality the viewpoints are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or disregard for crucial issues that are ethical favor of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers have not exposed Tobacco Control and don’t comprehend its main give attention to tobacco control as opposed to on tobacco as well as its usage and wellness effects. We have been thinking about such documents, but only when their writers address the implications of these findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological issues.
- Documents on topics that want very technical or discipline-specific language not likely to be recognized by the greater part of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little information that is new.
- Regional studies where in fact the implications for the journal’s international market are not clear.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood wellness authorities that someone thought could be offered a fast make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres towards the greatest requirements concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, medical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To look at all BMJ Journal policies please make reference to the BMJ Author Hub policies web page.
Articles are posted under a unique licence or non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. The terms are as stated in accordance with our licence terms for US Federal Government officers or employees acting as part of their official duties. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles could be reused beneath the regards to the appropriate imaginative Commons licence to facilitate reuse associated with content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence for the Creative that is applicable commons.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will perhaps not think about for book documents work that is reporting, in entire or in component, with a tobacco company or tobacco industry company. Nor will the journal consider documents by writers whom accept tobacco industry financing, including financing for research expenses, for many or section of any author’s income, or any other types of individual remuneration. For more information, please look at this editorial offering the reasoning behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare contending passions at distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, may result in instant rejection associated with the paper. In case a contending interest comes to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue a formal modification to or retraction regarding the entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is prepared to start thinking about documents based wholly or in component on material previously posted on line. But authors must look into an editorial with this topic: Prior book on the net: brand new log policy. The editor keeps the right that is customary make modifications however you like and in case required to reduce, utilizing the approval regarding the author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or illustrative material that happens to be posted somewhere else must certanly be duly recognized and associated with the penned consent of this copyright owner (this can be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances where a paper’s findings have actually straight away relevant policy implications warranting urgent book, manuscripts might be fast tracked in front of the normal queue of documents. In the event which you feel that you have actually good factors why that is real for the paper, please information these in an employment cover letter, describing the significance of your projects for the industry therefore the explanation you are feeling it really is of adequate value to be managed urgently. This demand doesn’t guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a few documents per year should be expedited with this foundation, nonetheless it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value within the context that is current.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on e cigarettes should make use of the term cigarettes that are‘electronic on very very first usage, after which it the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be applied. Documents on other smoking distribution systems may continue using the word ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very first usage.
When uploading a revised manuscript, writers also needs to add an independent manuscript file highlighting the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the real difference through the previous variation. The monitored modifications document should really be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Analysis reporting gu >
BMJ calls for conformity to your following reporting directions. Please upload the appropriate completed list for the research kind along with your distribution, and label it “Research checklist”. This can be indicated on the submission form if no relevant checklist is available for your study type.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed trials
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for many financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for many research that is diagnostic
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for many quality improvement studies
Guidance and types can be obtained from EQUATOR.
We welcome video clip abstracts to come with accepted research articles. These enable authors to physically talk through their work beyond the limitations of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note that people will likely not request you to start thinking about publishing a video clip abstract until your paper happens to be accepted. Please usually do not try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of the manuscript.
There are lots of tutorials online that could guide the creation of a video abstract, using commonly and frequently easily available pc software. Windows Movie Maker and Apple iMovie would be the many typical examples. Samples of movie abstracts can be obtained from The BMJ. Here are a guidelines that are few making a video clip abstract. Writers might also desire to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for help.
- Video abstracts must not keep going longer than 4 moments.
- The information while focusing associated with the movie must connect straight to the research that’s been accepted for book, and may perhaps perhaps not stray beyond the info. We advice itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content regarding the movie should really be in a mode as well as in terms that’ll be understandable and available to an over-all medical market. The language that is main be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that will not be acquainted to an extensive audience that is medical and don’t make use of abbreviations.
- Writers frequently talk straight into the digital digital digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we enable the utilization of other appropriate artistic and material that is audiosuch as for example animations, movies, nevertheless photographs, figures, infographics). If you want to utilize product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the publisher that is relevant copyright owner.